I have devoted my life and my career to education and the interdisciplinary study of art and curation.
1994 – Present: Bravo Fine Art. Fine arts consultancy and curatorial services.
2016 – Jan 4 to Aug 31 – Texas A&M Fine Arts Coordinator, San Antonio, TX; Curated, produced and oversaw exhibitions at the Centro de Artes in Market Square; introduced professional industry standards to upper A&M executives; inspected physical plant and negotiated the repair of the building’s air conditioning unit; maintained excellent relationships with downtown stakeholders.
2012 – 2013: Host and Writer, Defining Art, KMBH (PBS Affiliate) public television show broadcast monthly featuring interviews, studio visits, and exhibit talks with important contemporary artists.
2010 – April, 2013: Executive Director, International Museum of Art & Science, McAllen, TX; oversaw all museum staff, operations, and successfully executed over 26 exhibits in 31 months on time and on budget.
2006 – 2010: Art History Instructor, University of the Incarnate Word, San Antonio, TX.
1994 – 2006: Worked variety of capacities at the San Antonio Museum of Art including Head Preparator, Associate Curator of Western Antiquities, Coordinator of School Programming, Assistant Registrar, and Contract Curator.
1994 – 1998: CEO, Tristero, Inc. & The Coffee Gallery
Selected Exhibits Curated
The Third Mexican Shinzaburo Takeda Biennial of Printmaking, April – July, 2013. International Museum of Art & Science.
C. Stone: Mark Cloet, October – December, 2012. International Museum of Art & Science.
Benini: New Masterworks, September – December, 2012. International Museum of Art & Science.
Famous Faces: Kristen Eyfells, May – August, 2012. International Museum of Art & Science.
Fast Forward; the Art of Colin Christian, January – May, 2012. International Museum of Art & Science.
Out of Style: Geometric Abstraction from the 1970’s, January – June, 2012. International Museum of Art & Science.
French Impressionist Works from SAMA, International Museum of Art & Science, McAllen, TX (original exhibit re-curated and loaned to IMAS), Februray 16 – August 26, 2012.
You Are Not Here: Pop Art of Ron English, August – December, 2011. International Museum of Art & Science.
Sculptures by Johann Eyfells, International Museum of Art & Science (2011 – indefiniate loan).
Chris Jordan: Running the Numbers, April – July, 2011. International Museum of Art & Science.
Texas Biennial: Arte De La Frontera, 1st quarter, 2011. International Museum of Art & Science.
Apocalyptic Visions, Semmes Gallery, UIW, Feb 28- March 24, 2010.
Metaphysikos: The Mystical Art of Kirk Clark, John Felice Rome Center, Loyola University, Rome, Feb. 2-March 10, 2009.
Metaphysikos: The Mystical Art of Kirk Clark, Semmes Gallery, UIW, Jan 25-Feb. 28, 2008.
Eighteenth Century Irish Silver, Permanent Exhibit, San Antonio Museum of Art, 1999.
Roman Imperial Coinage, Permanent Exhibit, San Antonio Museum of Art, 1999.
Lithography of Henri Fantin Latour, Focus Gallery, San Antonio Museum of Art (co-curated with Gerry Dee Scott, III), 1999.
Oceanic Art, Permanent Exhibit, San Antonio Museum of Art, 1998.
Interviews in the Gallery Series, IMAS
[su_quote]As executive director of IMAS, I hosted a series of live interviews with artists from around the country that I brought to the Rio Grande Valley. This series is important to the historically under-represented communities in the region because it exposes the community to professional artists and their work.[/su_quote]
- IMAS Artist Interviews in the Gallery: Benini, September, 2012
- IMAS Artist Interviews in the Gallery: Colin Christian, January, 2012
- IMAS Artist Interviews in the Gallery: Ron English, August, 2011
- IMAS Artist Interviews in the Gallery: Chris Jordan, April, 2011
- Mark Cloet Events Series – hosted a series of presentations and events featuring Fullbright Scholar Mark Cloet (Belgium), 2011 – 2012
Symposia & Other Events & Presentations
- Multicultural Arts Conference, Keynote Speaker, San Antonio College, April 24, 2014.
- Walls, Graffiti and the Art of Resistance, Walls Symposium, Trinity University, San Antonio, TX, February 15-17, 2009
- Tres Museos – Presented and participated in an educators in-service event for K-12 teachers held at the McNay, the San Antonio Museum of Art, and the Witte Museum.
- SIGGRAPH 2002 – Exhibit design and construction supervision for major convention trade show in San Diego, CA
- Doing Business on the Internet – UTSA Small Business Development Center seminar in Laredo
- The Internet: It’s cool, but what’s it good for?, — Presentation to 300 members of local chambers of commerce
- Doing Business Online – San Antonio Internet Odyssey
- 13 Points: A Demming Approach to the Internet – San Antonio Young Millionaires Club Online
- Research – Orientation to the Internet for San Antonio Librarians
Other Selected Gallery Talks & Docent Training
- Interdisciplinary Approaches to Ancient Art
- Classical Mythology in the Ewing Halsell Wing
- Ptolemaic Egypt: Culture and Synthesis
- We Eat the Gods: Sacramental Cannibalism in Mexico
- Chicano Art – the Mestizaje Experience
- The Mystical Arts of Oceania
- Hidden in Plane View: Diego Rivera’s Application of Hermetic and Masonic Principles
- Consequences of the Male Gaze: the dynamics of a gender oriented viewing of the reclining female figure
- Eighteenth Century Irish Silver
- Spirit Country: Time and the Sacred Landscape – Contemporary Australian Aboriginal Art Gallery Talk delivered in conjunction with Spirit Country exhibit
- Scythians: Heavy Metal on the Steppes – Gallery Talk and Docent Training for Gold of the Nomads exhibit
- Ankhenaten: Henotheism in the 18th Dynasty
- Technology of Ancient Glass
- It’s Just Modern Art, Don’t Let It Scare You
- Lurstan to Istanbul: Art of the Near East
- Power and Porcelain: The Ceramic Art of China
- Spanish Colonial Art: Affinity and Assimilation
- American Painting: Liberty and the New World Landscape
- Decoding the Museum – It’s Curating, Not Interior Decorating, Folks
Academic & Teaching Experience
[su_quote]Often described as a gifted educator, I consider it my mission to transmit knowledge that will change lives. Because of this mission, I have actively sought out innovative ways to communicate ideas, including broadcast and distance learning. Some of my areas of experience and expertise include:[/su_quote]
University of the Incarnate Word (freshman to senior level classes):
- Ancient to Medieval Art History
- Renaissance to Modern Art History
- Survey in Contemporary Art
- Issues in Contemporary Art
- Independent Studies:
- Supervised Museum Internships (2)
- Renaissance Art – Michaelangelo
- 3 years, McNair Scholarship Mentor. This program provides students of historically disadvantaged communities the opportunity to gain graduate level research skills culminating in a published paper that is presented by them at several national colloquiums. Successful completion of the program provides students priority consideration for graduate scholarships.
- KeyStone School (private high school):
- Ancient to Medieval Art History
- Medieval to Modern Art History
Region 20 Distance Learning: Lectures on Ancient Rome and Ancient Egypt using interactive distance learning technology for high school students in remote areas of Texas.
Texas Military Institute: Lectures on Ancient Rome for Professor Ravella.
“Remember the Alamo, or Why Santa Anna and Sam Houston Should be Hung From the Same Tree,” Special guest lecture for Bicultural Studies class at UTSA, Dr. Reuben Cordova.
Private Tutoring (high school level): Ancient History, World History, American History, Texas History, English Literature, and Economics.
Private Tutoring (college level): Art History, English
Master of Arts in Art History, University of Texas at San Antonio, 2006.
Bachelor of Arts in Humanities, University of Texas at San Antonio, 1992.
- McAllen Arts Council, 2010 – 2013.
- McAllen Public Art Committee, 2010 – 2013.
- KMBH Advisory Board (public television in Harlingen, TX), 2011 – 2013.
I am available for speaking engagements, museum tours, contract curation, and teaching. Please complete the form below and I will be immediately notified of your interest.