I have devoted my life and my career to learning, education
and the interdisciplinary study of art and curation.
Essays and Cataloging Projects
Catalogue essay for Benini: A La Geometria exhibit; MADI Museum, Dallas, TX. January 27, 2017 – April 23, 2017.
Catalogue essay and didactic text for Michael Pearce: The Secret Paintings exhibit, The Museum of Ventura County, Ventura, CA. June 2, 2017 – August 6, 2017.
Catalogue design and production for The Intuition Paintings by Kirk Clark exhibit; The Museum of Biblical Art, Dallas, TX. September 10, 2017 – January 8, 2018.
Cataloging project for the Kirk and Jeri Clark Collection; October 15, 2016 – ongoing.
Catalogue raisonné project for sculptor Johann Eyfells, October 24, 2017 – ongoing.
Selected Exhibits Curated
Pat Musick Retrospective, November 14, 2016 – February 28, 2017, The Sculpture Ranch, Johnson City, Texas.
Graham Tom’s: Fantastic Conscience, September 26, 2016 – October 14, 2016, Charles and Dorothy Clark Gallery, University of Texas Rio Grande Valley.
The Third Mexican Shinzaburo Takeda Biennial of Printmaking, April – July 2013. International Museum of Art & Science.
C. Stone: Mark Cloet, October – December 2012. International Museum of Art & Science.
Benini: New Masterworks, September – December 2012. International Museum of Art & Science.
Famous Faces: Kristen Eyfells, May – August 2012. International Museum of Art & Science.
Fast Forward; the Art of Colin Christian, January – May 2012. International Museum of Art & Science.
Out of Style: Geometric Abstraction from the 1970’s, January – June 2012. International Museum of Art & Science.
French Impressionist Works from SAMA, International Museum of Art & Science, McAllen, TX (original exhibit re-curated and loaned to IMAS), February 16 – August 26, 2012.
You Are Not Here: Pop Art of Ron English, August – December, 2011. International Museum of Art & Science.
Sculptures by Johann Eyfells, International Museum of Art & Science (2011 – indefinite loan).
Chris Jordan: Running the Numbers, April – July, 2011. International Museum of Art & Science.
Texas Biennial: Arte De La Frontera, 1st quarter, 2011. International Museum of Art & Science.
Apocalyptic Visions, Semmes Gallery, UIW, Feb 28- March 24, 2010.
Metaphysikos: The Mystical Art of Kirk Clark, John Felice Rome Center, Loyola University, Rome, Feb. 2-March 10, 2009.
Metaphysikos: The Mystical Art of Kirk Clark, Semmes Gallery, UIW, Jan 25-Feb. 28, 2008.
Eighteenth Century Irish Silver, Permanent Exhibit, San Antonio Museum of Art, 1999.
Roman Imperial Coinage, Permanent Exhibit, San Antonio Museum of Art, 1999.
Lithography of Henri Fantin Latour, Focus Gallery, San Antonio Museum of Art (co-curated with Gerry Dee Scott, III), 1999.
Oceanic Art, Permanent Exhibit, San Antonio Museum of Art, 1998.
Appeared in A Force In Nature: Johann Eyfells, and accompanied its Producer/Director, Hayden Maisoneuve Yates, to the Reykjavik International Film Festival October 2017 for the European premier of this documentary film about the life of renowned Icelandic sculptor Johann Eyfells.
Interviewed October 8, 2017 by RUV TV, Iceland regarding A Force In Nature: Johann Eyfells (Story begins at 16:20) http://www.ruv.is/sarpurinn/…/kastljos-og-menningin/20171003
Symposia & Other Events & Presentations
- MFA critique and presentation of Skilled Representationalist, the Contemporary Art Canon and the Dynamics of Institutional Power at Laguna College of Art and Design, November 28, 2017.
- Keynote paper presenter at Figurative Art Conference and Expo/The Representational Art Conference 2017, Coral Gables, FL, November 7-10, 2018. Presented paper entitled Skilled Representationalist, the Contemporary Art Canon and the Dynamics of Institutional Power.
- Multicultural Arts Conference, Keynote Speaker, San Antonio College, April 24, 2014.
- Walls, Graffiti and the Art of Resistance, Walls Symposium, Trinity University, San Antonio, TX, February 15-17, 2009.
- Tres Museos – Presented and participated in an educators in-service event for K-12 teachers held at the McNay, the San Antonio Museum of Art, and the Witte Museum.
- SIGGRAPH 2002 – Exhibit design and construction supervision for major convention trade show in San Diego, CA.
- Doing Business on the Internet. UTSA Small Business Development Center seminar in Laredo
- The Internet: It’s cool, but what’s it good for?, Presentation to 300 members of local chambers of commerce.
- Doing Business Online – San Antonio Internet Odyssey.
- 13 Points: A Demming Approach to the Internet – San Antonio Young Millionaires Club Online.
- Research – Orientation to the Internet for San Antonio Librarians
Interviews in the Gallery Series at the International Museum of Art and Science
I hosted a series of live interviews with artists from around the country that I arranged to bring to the Rio Grande Valley during my tenure as Executive Director. The series was extremely well received by the community because it exposed a historically under-represented region because it exposed the community to professional artists and their work.
- IMAS Artist Interviews in the Gallery: Benini, September, 2012
- IMAS Artist Interviews in the Gallery: Colin Christian, January, 2012
- IMAS Artist Interviews in the Gallery: Ron English, August, 2011
- IMAS Artist Interviews in the Gallery: Chris Jordan, April, 2011
- Mark Cloet Events Series – hosted a series of presentations and events featuring Fullbright Scholar Mark Cloet (Belgium), 2011 – 2012
Other Selected Gallery Talks & Docent Training
- Interdisciplinary Approaches to Ancient Art
- Classical Mythology in the Ewing Halsell Wing
- Ptolemaic Egypt: Culture and Synthesis
- We Eat the Gods: Sacramental Cannibalism in Mexico
- Chicano Art – the Mestizaje Experience
- The Mystical Arts of Oceania
- Hidden in Plain View: Diego Rivera’s Application of Hermetic and Masonic Principles
- Consequences of the Male Gaze: the dynamics of a gender-oriented viewing of the reclining female figure
- Eighteenth Century Irish Silver
- Spirit Country: Time and the Sacred Landscape – Contemporary Australian Aboriginal Art Gallery Talk delivered in conjunction with Spirit Country exhibit
- Scythians: Heavy Metal on the Steppes – Gallery Talk and Docent Training for Gold of the Nomads exhibit
- Akhenaten: Henotheism in the 18th Dynasty
- Technology of Ancient Glass
- It’s Just Modern Art, Don’t Let It Scare You
- Lurstan to Istanbul: Art of the Near East
- Power and Porcelain: The Ceramic Art of China
- Spanish Colonial Art: Affinity and Assimilation
- American Painting: Liberty and the New World Landscape
- Decoding the Museum – It’s Curating, Not Interior Decorating, Folks
Academic & Teaching Experience
Often described as a gifted educator, I consider it my mission to transmit knowledge that will change lives. Because of this mission, I have actively sought out innovative ways to communicate ideas, including broadcast and distance learning. Some of my areas of experience include:
University of the Incarnate Word (freshman to senior level classes):
- Ancient to Medieval Art History
- Renaissance to Modern Art History
- Survey in Contemporary Art
- Issues in Contemporary Art
- Independent Studies:
- Supervised Museum Internships (2)
- Renaissance Art – Michaelangelo
- 3 years, McNair Scholarship Mentor. This program provides students of historically disadvantaged communities the opportunity to gain graduate-level research skills culminating in a published paper that is presented by them at several national colloquiums. Successful completion of the program provides students priority consideration for graduate scholarships.
- KeyStone School (private high school):
- Ancient to Medieval Art History
- Medieval to Modern Art History
Region 20 Distance Learning: Lectures on Ancient Rome and Ancient Egypt using interactive distance learning technology for high school students in remote areas of Texas.
Texas Military Institute: Lectures on Ancient Rome for Professor Ravella.
“Remember the Alamo, or Why Santa Anna and Sam Houston Should be Hung From the Same Tree,” Special guest lecture for Bicultural Studies class at UTSA, Dr. Reuben Cordova.
Private Tutoring (high school level): Ancient History, World History, American History, Texas History, English Literature, and Economics.
Private Tutoring (college level): Art History, English
1994 – Present: Bravo Fine Art. Fine arts consultancy and curatorial services.
2016 – Jan 4 to Aug 31 – Texas A&M Fine Arts Coordinator, San Antonio, TX; Curated, produced and oversaw exhibitions at the Centro de Artes in Market Square; introduced professional industry standards to upper A&M executives; inspected the physical plant and negotiated repair of the building’s air conditioning unit; maintained excellent relationships with downtown stakeholders.
2012 – 2013: Host and Writer, Defining Art, KMBH (PBS Affiliate) public television show broadcast monthly featuring interviews, studio visits, and exhibit talks with important contemporary artists.
2010 – April 2013: Executive Director, International Museum of Art & Science, McAllen, TX; oversaw all museum staff, operations, and successfully executed over 26 exhibits in 31 months on time and on budget. During my tenure in the RGV, I was also involved in the community. I was on the McAllen Arts Council, 2010 – 2013, McAllen Public Art Committee, 2010 – 2013, and KMBH Advisory Board (public television in Harlingen, TX), 2011 – 2013.
2006 – 2010: Art History Instructor, University of the Incarnate Word, San Antonio, TX.
1994 – 2006: Worked in a variety of capacities at the San Antonio Museum of Art including Head Preparator, Associate Curator of Western Antiquities, Coordinator of School Programming, Assistant Registrar, and Contract Curator.
1994 – 1998: CEO, Tristero, Inc. & The Coffee Gallery (a precursor to the internet coffeehouses we all know and love.)
Master of Arts in Art History, the University of Texas at San Antonio, 2006.
Bachelor of Arts in Humanities, the University of Texas at San Antonio, 1992.
I am available for speaking engagements, museum tours, contract curation, and teaching. Please complete the form below and I will be immediately notified of your interest.